Injection MouldingCavity Pressure Measurement and Process control
Data acquisition, optimization, 24/7 monitoring and product sorting with Cavity Eye Smart Moulding Control system
Injection moulding is a complex process. The effective production depends on hundreds and thousands of parameters, on the mould, on the material and on the employee too. It is the reason that sometimes very difficult to find the best parameter combination of moulding or find out what is the root problem of failure production and the high scrap ratio. Injection moulding is a blind flying if one makes decisions without enough information.
The aim of Cavity Eye is optimizing parameters of the injection moulding technology with the help of the pressure inside the cavity. As the product quality is determined by the process inside the mould, thus it is important to know what is happening in the cavity of the mould during the injection. Having a full understanding of the production process is only possible with sensors detecting every information of the injection moulding environment and by using these information we are able to find the best parameters for the greatest results.
The Cavity Eye is an extra information channel between the cavities of the mould and the user. The machine setter can see what happens inside the cavities, thus the technology can be optimized without any difficulties.
Fine tuning the parameters have never been easier! You can optimize these parameters online, leading to zero human error
Automatic scrap sorting is also achievable by cavity pressure measuring inside the mould via Cavity Eye. The measured pressure values are processed and analysed in no time and the system decides whether the product is a potential scrap, thus the separating condition is given.
Benefits of Cavity Eye
- Market leader innovative technology;
- Compact hardware: the system is integrated into a smart industrial plug;
- Real-time process analysis;
- Free software update;
- Online support;
- Technical support, consulting and training;
- The easiest way of sensor installation;
- Best value/price ratio on the market;
- You can buy directly from the producer;
According to customer requirements and product parameters, we offer different measuring positions:
• Start of flow path (Post-Gate)
• The 2/3 of the flow path (End-of-Filling)
• Direct measuring at the failure
The different measuring positions leads to different pressure curve shapes.
The post-gate sensors are used for moulding technology optimization, because this position provides information of the filling, holding and cooling phase as well. The sensor at the 2/3 of the flow path is near the end of filling, so it provides information about whether the shot is short or the product has flash, thus it is a valuable information to sort the products. The direct failure measuring is good for having the failure held under control.
The Cavity Eye sensors are measuring the mould cavity pressure indirectly. The pressure in the cavity acts on the ejector pins as a force load, and the force is transmitted by the ejector and the transfer pin. The transfer pin is an ejector pin upside-down, which transfers the measuring to the sensor, thus the information is forwarded from the cavity to you.
What can You use Cavity Eye for?
1. Technology analysis and optimization of the injection moulding machine parameters via cavity pressure. You can find your technology window with ease, so the product starting process is stable and faster. Using our system lets you set a simple technology, you just have to modify the mould according to the technology. This will grant you repeatable and stable technology and a longer lifetime for both mould and machine.
2. Product sorting. The SMC system is communicating with the memory inside the mould socket and with injection moulding machine as well, thus the Cavity Eye system is monitoring, and even capable of controlling your production. Helps the smooth workflow of the machine setters, emits bad part signal to the injection machine and if needed, stops the production to protect your mould.
3. Data collecting and analysing. All the measured data of the Cavity Eye production is stored in a central database (CDB). The whole lifetime of a mould can be overviewed and analysed. Thanks to this, you can evaluate your production and processes, thus every data (cycle time, maintenance time, scrapped parts, etc.) is at your hands to optimize the production with the Cavity Eye and ASR software.
4. The fine-tuning of the injection parameters. The Cavity Eye is capable of communicate with the injection machine. This creates the possibility to enable switchover to cavity pressure, open the valves of the hot runner nozzles and many more!
Analysing, statistics, reports simply with central data collecting
Cavity Eye offers all-round software and hardware solutions for storing and reaching all the data collected during injection moulding. With central data storing, easy access to your data is granted. The Cavity Eye SMC systems are integrable without any difficulty, thereby remotely accessible anytime from a central server, where you can monitor or control the production.
All the data and information of the Cavity Eye system is automatically stored in the central database, hence the chance of losing critical data is basically 0. Moreover, the incoming data from each of our devices can be visualized real-time as well as reports and statistics can be generated from them.
Parameters, data and events directly from the Injection Moulding Machine
The Cavity Eye Central Data Collecting system presents the answer for gathering Injection Moulding Machine (IMM) data. Every parameter of technology, alarm, event or setting is available in one place and real-time, thus the production overview and controlling is effortless.
Collecting both IMM and Cavity Eye pressure measurement data gives opportunity to analyse the data and illustrate them on a single graph. For example, the pressure measured in the cavity and the pressure measured by the IMM can be visualized on the same diagram with the screw position.
The standard Euromap 63 communication is available at most of the IMM by default. This protocol creates the possibility for collecting every data without any change or addition to the Injection Moulding Machine
The advantages of the Smart Moulding Control system through real-life examples
The main goal of our products and services, that great reductions in cost will be available with us either short- or long-term. These cost reductions and savings are possible in many ways, in which we are able to help You:
- Reduced scrap rate
- Reduction of tool failures (eg. core breakage)
- Optimization of tool maintenance period
- Sped up tool validation process
- Automated scrap sorting
- Long-term data analysis to detect errors and optimize
- Reduced customer complaints
- 16 cavities, electrical part
- 8 hot runner nozzles
- High-runner mould (1-2 million part / month)
- Manual sorting
- Manual sorting is expensive, difficult and not accurate enough (0ppm target)
- The 16 cavities are not filled out equally (NFO and overmoulded parts), high percentage of scrap ratio
- Machine supervision is not accurate enough to detect defective pieces
- Core/insert breakages
- Install sensors in the clamping plate at the end of the flow length
Results (Technology optimization + CE System):
- Setting filling balance (before-after pictures)
- Decrease scrap ratio
- Automated sorting (0 ppm scrap) – Operator sorting became unnecessary
- 7 % less cycle time (0,5 s)
- Cavity Eye system cost
- Avoided sorting cost under 1 month
- Avoided measuring room cost in case of mould transfer under 1 year
- Avoided core breakage costs under 1 year
Cost of Cavity Eye in percentage of avoided costs under a year
Core/insert breakage costs
- 2 cavities, electrical part
- 2 component product
- PA6-GF30% material
- Random over moulding of one cavity because the other cavity’s gate is already frozen -> insert breakages regularly
- Install pressure sensors – 1 sensor/cavity – near the gate
- Collaboration in software development resulted in Safety Moulding feature –Immediately stopping injection or switchover to holding pressure to prevent insert breaking when reaching too high cavity pressure before a certain time
- Cavity Eye system cost
- Avoided sorting cost under 1 year
- Avoided core breakage costs under 1 year
- Avoided loss of production cost under 1 year